An estimated 798,365 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were living in Australia in 2016. This was 3.3% of the total Australian population.
Among the Indigenous population in 2016:
- 91% identified as being of Aboriginal origin (727,485 people)
- 5% identified as being of Torres Strait Islander origin (38,660)
- 4% were of both Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander origin (32,220) (Figure PC 1).
Among Indigenous Australians in 2016:
- 12% of males and 11% of females were in the 0–4 age group.
- 0.2% of males and 0.3% of females were in the 85 and over age group (Figure PC 2).